Opal is a birthstone for people born in October. It is a beautiful stone that is also affordable at the same time. You can wear them in a ring, earrings, which are the common choices and also in necklaces and bracelets.
In this article, you will learn about the popular and famous Opal stones and jewelry around the world with its price.
The Andamooka necklace is a very famous Opal necklace that is gifted to Queen Elizabeth II in 1950 when she visited Australia for the first time. A rare, fine and magnificent Opal of 203 carats is set in 18 carats of diamonds necklace.
The name was given after the place it was mined which is "Andamooka Opal Field". The Opal is an array of blues, reds, and greens. The necklace and the earrings set was worth $250,000 in 1954.
The Butterfly opal got its name from the famous British butterfly-The Red Admiral which red color is ca be seen from all angles. It has a striking red color and the shape gives the resemblance of the butterfly. It weighs 51 carats and the cost is estimated at AUD 1 million.
The ring which featured the 22.18 carats oval-shaped Opal set in yellow gold that is surrounded by circular-cut diamonds. Elvis was very fond of Opal as he always thinks Opal is magical. He bought this beautiful ring for his beloved Linda as a gift.
This ring was sold in a Christie's auction for $23,750.
The Halley's Comet is a big, uncut opal ever found. It is recorded as the world’s largest uncut black opal nobby in the Guinness Book of Record. The weight of this massive black Opal stone is 1982.5 carats with thick quality green color and green-orange color bar. It was up for sale in 2006 for AUD 1.2 million.
The Olympic Australis is the world's largest and valuable Opal found in 1956. The name was given in the honor to the Olympic Games that were being held at the same time in Melbourne, Australia. Out of 100%, this Opal only consists of 1% of soil and the remaining 99% was pure Opal which makes it very valuable Opal Gem ever found.
The weight of this precious and rare Opal stone is 17,000 carats and the current value is estimated at over AUD 2.5 million.
The "Aurora Australia" is one of the most valuable black Opal in the world. It was bought and polished by Altmann and Cherny in an oval shape. The value of this beautiful stone is based on its size and color which is of strong vibrant.
This stone weighs 180 carats and the current worth is estimated at AUD 1 million.
This continent-shaped Opal stone was found in 1915 at the Phone Line. This stone is known as the "greatest Opal in the world". The stone has black and blue veins that are crossed with brilliant red strikes.
The weight of this unique stone is 225 carats. It was sold in 1954 for $150,000.
The Fire Queen Opal was originally called 'Dunstan's Stone' named after its finder Charlie Dunstan. It has been passed in the hand of different buyers from 1906 and the value was not much due to the low market of Opal. The stone ended up in a Chicago museum in 1928 with a valuation of $60,000.
The stone weighed around 900 carats which were bought by J.D Rockefeller in 1940 for $110,000. The stone was kept in his family collections.
The Flame Queen was mined in 1918 on Bald Hill, Australia. It was mined by three partners named Jack Phillips, Joe Hegarty, and Walter Bradley. The stone was nicknamed "Poached Egg" due to its looks. The center opal looks like a flaming red or gold color that varies on the angle you see. It is framed with a high emerald green band.
In 1925, the stone was offered $2000. However, it was sold for USD 32,000 in 1973. In 2003, the Flame Queen was put up for sale again in Christie's auction, New York but it was passed in due to an undisclosed reserve.
Visit Stoneharu for more information about expensive stones.